Monuments

The sultana of Vejer offers you the most relevant information for you.

We look for our clients to enjoy the surroundings of Vejer de la Frontera.

Historical overview of Vejer

Monuments

Monuments

The Tartessos, by the VII century baptized as Besaro that the Romans changed by Baessipo. Important was its port Portus Baessipo, which currently occupies the town of Barbate.

In the year 711, after the defeat of Don Rodrigo at the Guadalete battlethe Muslims commanded by Táriq Ibn Ziyad take the town that happens to be called Besher.

It was five centuries of Arab domination that left an important mark in the configuration of the urban fabric and ladies customs. It will be Sancho IV who reconquered the square, granting to “La Orden de Santiago” (the Order of Santiago) the dominion of Vejer, although the Order never made an appearance. The repopulation falls into the hands of Guzman El Bueno, whose dominion would extend throughout the area of Gibraltar.

The figure of "El Bueno" is located in corners and squares of the region. His lordship will inherit the family of Medina Sidonia to which years later the people would face in the well-known rebellion of the “Hazas de la Suerte”.

These lands witnessed famous battles like that of Trafalgar. Throughout the centuries Vejer became an important agricultural place, an activity that has been overtaken by the growing industry of rural turism.

However, what attracts attention in this beautiful location is the perfect symbiosis of past and present that is evident in its old town, its traditions and gastronomy.

The Mayorazgo Defense Tower

Monuments

Monuments

It is one of the towers of the defense wall that is located in its south part. Its name is due to its location in “La Casa del Mayorazgo” (the Mayorazgo House). The tower forms a corner protruding from the defensive wall line.


In its ground floor it is a vaulted dependence with saeteras (narrow window of those that are usually open on stairs and other parts), and of her by a tortuous stone ladder rises to the adarve (Upper part of a wall, generally covered, that has openings or windows to the outside) and from there to the sky or crenellated ceiling. It has two battlements, a steeple, responding to the chapel that the adjacent Casa del Mayorazgo possessed.


This Casa del Mayorazgo Baroque-style dates back to the 18th century and occupies the entire surface of this corner of the fortress. Its interior with two patios is altered by the works carried out. Its facade made of carved stone. From the adarve you can see the Plaza de España (Plaza de los Pescaitos).

Parish Church of “El Divino Salvador” (The Divine Savior)

Monuments

Monuments

The Church of “El Divino Salvador” of Vejer de la Frontera is located in the upper area of this town, within the walls of its old defensive wall.

The church stands under this title for being August 6, the day on which the feast of “Cristo Salvador” (Christ the Savior) is celebrated, the date when Christians reconquer the village of Vejer from the Islamic forces.

At first glance it is seen that it is the juxtaposition of two buildings of different times, and because the oldest still exists, it was unable to complete the second at the expense of the first. It seems clear that this is a Mudejar style construction erected on the floor of a former mosque; plant that likewise, the second building comes to occupy later.

The first section of the temple from the feet is a Gothic building from the beginning of the 16th century; and the second, up to the head, is the former Mudejar church that failed to be replaced during updating. Here, the presence of Arab art, as well as Romanesque and Gothic (the classical components of the Mudejar), are well visible.

Both buildings have three ships aligned and juxtaposed, assembled on the deck. The construction of Agustín de Argüello, as master, and Antonio Padilla and Bernardo de Torres as architects. Other artists related to this church are: Francisco de Villegas, sculptor and Juan Rodríguez like assembler (XVII century).

Contrast that area with the Gothic part, composed of four sections of a building of three naves of different heights, covered with beautiful vaults that are ribbed on the side and starred in the center, in whose walls are integrated high and small windows.

The church has some detached chapels, one of which, in the Mudejar part, is preceded by a Romanesque arch.

The main facade, located at the feet, shows the different height of its Gothic naves and the flying buttresses that balance the thrust of the central nave. It has a door beneath an ogival arch, and on the lintel a set of four opposing arches, topped by a Gothic rosette that is framed between buttresses finished.

The lateral facade of the gospel presents buttresses in the form of attached pilasters, with a small cornice and finished in gothic needle pruned.

The tower, square and with stylistic influences of different construction periods, is supposed to take advantage of the base of an old Muslim minaret, and ends in a pointed Baroque chapel covered with tiles, after the earthquake of 1773, which presents in its four faces The image of “El Salvador” (the Savior).

Castle of Vejer de la Frontera

Monuments

Monuments

It dates from the X and XI centuries, in the time of Abderramán I and successors. It is located in the highest part, and possibly the oldest inhabited area of Vejer, based on an earlier one of the Arab era.

It consists of two courtyards: the main courtyard where the old well, which collected rain water through a canal. The floor of the castle is shaped like a spike, to avoid that the animals that were in the stables slipped. From the patio you can see the battlements, access them and see beautiful views of the whole village. In this patio is the private house that was transformed by Pedro Muñoz de Arenillas in the second half of XIV century, which was compared to the Marqués de Martorell (Marquis of Martorell).

In the XIV century it was residence of Duques de Medina Sidonia (Dukes of Medina Sidonia), lords of Vejer. It is included within the group of "Minor Castles" because it has only one entrance and exit door located at the most accessible point and easier to defense. Door framed in an alfiz horseshoe is the most appreciated vestige of Arab origin that is still preserved.

A plaque commemoration of Vejer and Chef-Chauen twinning can be seen on the inside on the castle. Both cities are closely linked for historical and cultural reasons.

Convent of Las Monjas Concepcionistas

Monuments

Monuments

It is the only vestige of the original convent of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción (Convent of Our Lady of the Conception) founded by Juan de Amaya in 1552 for his own burial and his wife. Especially its cover of Renaissance style and the crypts.

At its side is the most emblematic street of the city, el Arco de las Monjas (the Arch of the Nuns), consisting of a succession of buttresses that supports the side wall, built-in as a result of the earthquake of the XVIII century.

Palace of Marqués de Tamarón

Monuments

Monuments

The Palacio del Marqués de Tamarón (Palace of Marqués de Tamarón) in Vejer de la Frontera, is located in Calle Marqués de Tamarón (Marqués de Tamarón Street), near the Iglesia Parroquial El Divino Salvador (Parish Church of The Divine Savour).

The Casa del Marqués de Tamarón (the house of the Marquis of Tamarón) built by D. Juan Bartolomé del Santísimo Ahumada, Vizconde de las Torres Luzón (Viscount of the Luzon Towers), who "carved them at their expense from the foundations" in the second decade of the eighteenth century. After the death of Mrs. Teresa de Ahumada, in 1776, the last member of this noble family from Vejer, the house passes by inheritance and sale to different owners. In 1808 it was acquired by D. Francisco de Arrafán y Valdés, father-in-law of Mr. José de Mora, Marqués de Tamarón. After the death of Mr. Arrafán, the Marqués de Tamarón wife inherits it, was enlarged and reformed between 1833-1834. The residence of the Marqués de Tamarón until 1938 was the Palacio house.

Plaza de España

Monuments

Monuments

The Plaza de España dates back to the 16th century. It was originally designed to see bullfights, although in 1955 a fountain was built in the center of it; covered with beautiful hand-painted tiles in the style of Seville. The fountain will immediately captivate you, in part because it is the first thing you see when you enter by car in Vejer, and on the other hand because it is a place that is really worth visiting.

The Plaza de España is the nerve center of Vejer de la Frontera. In this representative location is where you feel the daily life of the village and is a meeting point of locals and visitors. Here is located the Ayuntamiento (City Hall) and Juzgado de Paz (Magistrate’s Court) and many bars and restaurants to enjoy the gastronomy of the area.

This emblematic Plaza, surrounded by palm trees, is located in the center of the village and is mandatory for all tourists, being one of their favorite places when they know it. During the XV and XVI centuries it was intended for the celebration of various bullfighting events and at present, held other type of events like the acts for “La Velada en Honor a la Virgen de la Oliva” (Acts the Evening in Honor to the Patroness the Virgin of the Olive), as well as the most important events of the municipality . In the surroundings of the Plaza we also find numerous restaurants to enjoy the tasty cuisine of the area which outline the fresh fish and seafood of its coastline, the "pescaito frito" (fried fish), the Carne de Retinto (meat of Retinto), the Lomo en Manteca (tenderloin in red butter) or their Andalusí cuisine.